Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Next time I should go with the Jeffrey Dahmer hairdo when I have an audition

On Tuesday night I went out and auditioned for a local improve group called Comedy City De Pere.  I prepared myself for several weeks by watching people do improve, by reading books about the subject matter, and by just being myself.  On Wednesday afternoon I got the email telling me of my fate.  I didn’t make the cut.  And it fucking sucks.
It really fucking sucks.  It sucks to epic proportions actually.  I was really looking forward to the potential opportunity doing something I really like to do (and think I am good at), making people laugh.  Unfortunately, that isn’t happening anytime soon.  Just thinking about it since mid day has made my stomach turn with disappointment. 
I utterly hate rejection.  Then again, that goes without saying.  Nobody likes it, do they?  Maybe some messed up people.  The whole idea of rejection is what stops me from doing a lot of things in life.   I don’t openly admit this often, but damn is it a real heavy cloud that hangs over me a lot of the time.  Fear of rejection drives me in the wrong direction more often than not.  Maybe it is my secret character flaw.  I dunno.  What I do know is that the past 12 hours have been a slight downer to me.  Now I know how Lindsay Lohan feels when her car’s breathalyzer won’t let her turn the key in the ignition.
An additional bummer of it all is that there seemed to be some cool people at that audition.  I was looking forward to getting to work with them and know them.  It isn’t often I get to meet new people anymore or even get out of the apartment for anything other than work or seeing a matinee on a Saturday afternoon with all the old people.  Meeting new people legitimately is much more fulfilling than stalking them over the internet.  Then again, stalking does have its own special brand of emotional fulfillment.  
I suppose I can try again in April.  Will I?  Can’t say yet.  I’ve been rejected once, so I imagine if it happened the next time around it wouldn’t sting so much.   Sheryl Crow was right when she said the first cut is the deepest.  However, a second cut could make the bleeding worse.  Let’s not blame Ms. Crow here.  She never did claim to be a medical professional.   She is right that you kind of need to just get over shit and move on.  I can do that.  Eventually.   At some point I will have to find the hole in my game plan and patch it up before April.  All I can do is regroup and refocus.  And remember the bribe money next time.
Making this all a little more depressing is that I am still trying to comprehend that horrific display by the Packers on Monday night.  18 penalties makes them qualified to play in the prison league (or Oakland).   That was some crazy fucking shit, wasn’t it?  Now, I can’t say that the Packers played worse than the Bears though.  The Bears should be worried.  They had a team giving up 160 penalty yards and dropping interceptions, but they still managed to barely squeek by.  If they played even remotely well, they should have won by 20.   The good news for the Packers is that even when they play like absolute shit, they keep it close.
Jermichael Finley was a bad ass mother fucker out there again.   He will be going to Hawaii at the end of the season.  However, I am sure he’d rather be in Arlington.  How pissed off would the Cowboys fans be to see the Packers play the Super Bowl in their stadium?  Maybe not as pissed off as they would be for an NFC East team, but I imagine that they would be pissed none the less.  I think that an opposing player needs to celebrate a touchdown by running to the blue star somewhere on the field and then crouch down as if they were taking a dump.  It is too bad that Najeh Davenport isn’t around anymore to do that.  
Have any of you seen “The Town” yet?  You probably should.  If you don’t, you are probably just a goon without any taste for good movies.  You probably shouldn’t be allowed to see movies in the theater.  You should stick to renting them seven months later from the off brand Redbox machine in the front of Woodman’s grocery stores.  However, you don’t deserve to see it without complications.  The disc probably needs to be scratched too, so you can think about your bad taste in movies.  
Now that the tangent is completed, let me say that I think that Ben Affleck guy sure knows how to direct a crime drama set in Boston.  You’ll also be impressed by Jeremy Renner’s ability to play loose cannons.  Only he could play a scene where his character shows his face to a man he shot just to let the man know he saw his face as well and do so in a way that makes the audience smile.  Personally, I was most impressed with my hetero man crush, Jon Hamm.  He plays an FBI agent with near ruthless tactics for getting the job done.  He completely separates himself from his role of Don Draper on “Mad Men”.  He didn’t need to distance himself that much because it might have been bad ass if he stuck it to someone’s secretary after having a mid day old fashioned at the office.   Then again, if we ask for too much we end up disappointed with the movie.
My quick hits for the week:
·         The Halloween costume is set.  I can’t reveal it quite yet, but it will involve some tanning.  Not to give anything away, but how tan does a person need to be to have the same skin complexion as Ron Jeremy?
·         The Healthcare reform law went into effect last Thursday.  I support the cause, but I don’t support all the dumb questions people are going to ask about it.
·         Is it wrong that I want to wander into Festival Foods and buy a cake for myself to eat?
·         Does anyone know the safest distance to follow a stranger in your car so that they don’t know they are being followed?
·         There is a possible hole in my exhaust.  Now my car is more annoying than a Bears fan yelling pleasant things to Nick Collins.
·         The Dexter season premiere didn’t do much for me, with the exception of the flashbacks.  Those were brilliantly done.  It baffled me how Dexter could suddenly be so stupid.   There was some sloppy writing.
·         Fox 11 news is doing a pumpkin carving photo contest.  I am so tempted to enter one of my creations.  I am open to take suggestions for this year’s design.
·         Everything ever grilled is 500% better if it is served on a pretzel roll.   I dare you to prove otherwise.
·         I participated in a flash mob tonight.  A unnamed friend of mind thought I called it a flash drive.  Nope.  Those don’t get people to stare at you.
·         Kwik Trip has surprisingly delicious pizza slices on sale for $1 each on Wednesdays.
·         The rumors of me attending a Zumba class are still false.  Unless you heard that I had mad dance moves or something.  Then that was me.

1 comment:

  1. designed a game called Rejection Therapy back in 2009 to encourage myself to get out of my comfort zone more. It was amazingly effective and enlightening (for as long as I did it).

    If anyone wants to try it, it's here: http://rejectiontherapy.com

    ReplyDelete